Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bible Translations?!?!

I prefer a literal Bible translation.  I preach from the NKJV but also appreciate and use KJV, NASB, and ESV.  I was very privileged to be taught Greek by a wonderful teacher and as I translate the text I consult these translations.  I think the NIV can be helpful at times but many times I find myself in disagreement with some of their interpretative decisions.  I find very little use for a paraphrase.  Recently, the messengers of the Southern Baptist Convention churches approved a resolution which speaks against the new (updated) gender-neutral NIV.  I agree with our messengers.  A gender-neutral translation seems to be an attempt to make Scripture more appealing to a culture greatly influenced by radical feminism.  God's Word should be rightly handled with reverence and respect.  Culture should be conformed to God's Word not vice-versa.  However, this is not my greatest concern.  My concern is in regard to many of the recent English translations that have been (are being) produced.  According to Wycliffe International there are over 2,000 languages in the world today which do not have the Bible in their language.  It seems to me that it would be much better to use the resources that are being used to translate the Bible again into English (and market these translations) more efficiently, for the sake of getting God's Word into other languages.  We have some great translations and I thank God for them, now let's get to work on the rest of the world, for their sake and for Christ's.

No comments:

Post a Comment