Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Smoothie Recipe

Although this may seem like a departure from my normal posts I am reminded that the spiritual and the physical are inextricably linked.  We are told in Romans 12:1 to "present our bodies a living sacrifice to God."  This recipe is one way that has been helping me as well as others to do just that.  All of my life I have struggled with bronchitis and even a few bouts with pneumonia.  The first year after moving to Stephenville was filled with sinus and respiratory sickness for me and included several rounds of antibiotics.  For the last 6 months I have been drinking this smoothie every morning and I have had no sickness at all.  The protein provided keeps me full until lunch and I have experienced several health benefits.  Since many others have asked for this recipe I thought I would share it on my blog for easy access.  I have experimented much with this drink (and have had to choke down some nasty stuff) but I find this mixture to be very filling and tasty.

- small handful of kale leaves (sometimes substitute broccoli)
- small handful of spinach leaves
- small handful of carrot
- 2 tbsp. goji berries
- 2 tbsp. hemp seed
- 1 tsp. bee pollen (start slow and build up)
- 1 tbsp. local honey
- handful of frozen strawberries (sugar free), sometimes I substitute other fruit mixes
- 3/4 banana
- 8 natural almonds
- every other day I mix in 1/2 tsp. of wheatgrass powder (cut back on other veggies a bit because it is strong tasting)
- 8oz hemp milk
- 8oz organic milk

This makes about a 30 oz shake.  Enough for 2.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment