Friday, June 6, 2014

Making the Most of What You Have


1 Timothy 4 reminds us to make the most of what we have been given, "14 Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership.  15 Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all.  16 Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you."

Let me cut through my normal sermonic meandering and may we ask ourselves a few very pointed questions from this text:

  • Am I fully utilizing that which God has imparted to me? "do not neglect the gift that is in you"
  • Am I thoughtfully stirring up the giftedness which God has given me?  "meditate on these things"
  • Am I giving myself entirely to the expression of these gifts?  "give yourself entirely to them"
  • Is my progress in Christian growth and service evident to others?  "that your progress may be evident to all"
  • Is my salvation steadfastly persevering?  "take heed to yourself...continue...save yourself"
  • Are others being saved because they are seeing and hearing God's grace alive in me?  "you will save...those who hear you"

Make the most of what you have for the glory of God, your good, and for the eternal sake of others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment